Database Performance Engineer
Posted on 3/23/2023
Remote in USA
Google Cloud Platform
- Explore new features and improvements that are making your job easier, and providing you with a constant source of new subject matter and product features to delve into
- Dive into the internals of our query optimizer to become an expert with our query engine
- Keep up to date on the ways statistical information is collected on tables and used in our cost based query optimizer
- Discover how even small changes in query text can achieve 10x performance gains
- Reproduce query performance problems across various on-premise and cloud platforms to understand the whole scope of an issue, even parts that are Linux or systems related
- Enlighten a customer on database implementation for peak performance
- Be part of a small, tight-knit team where you can have a real impact and help shape product direction
- 8+ years of previous experience as a DBA or hands-on database work
- Deep expertise with relational/distributed database implementation and advanced SQL query optimization and SQL query tuning
- Strong background in general product troubleshooting, keeping in mind that query processing issues can be impacted by database or linux configuration and resource availability
- Experience with a scripting or coding language. Whether it's C++, Python, Go, or Bash, you should have a go-to solution for quick problem-solving and be able to navigate through our extensive code base
- Familiarity with distributed systems and AWS/GCP. You understand how organizations deploy and maintain distributed applications and services across multiple machines and know how to analyze these systems for performance bottlenecks
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills. Have the ability to explain technical concepts to a wide range of end-users
- As a subject matter expert, collaborate with our customers and the rest of the Support Engineering team on escalated query tuning and workload performance related support tickets
- Understand how the underlying Linux host configuration can impact database performance, and suggest changes to improve it
- Build reproductions of poorly performing customer workloads to investigate issues along with the query processing team to identify bugs or areas where the product can be enhanced
- Collaborate with software developers, sales engineers, and technical account managers to keep all internal teams up to date with the current customer status
- Work to streamline and improve various Support and Engineering processes and tools, author new internal run-books or public documentation, and help the team continually improve efficiency and effectiveness
- Participate in our on-call rotation that may include weekends and holidays
- A solid linux performance background. That means you are hands-on with Linux and your skills include generating and reading flame graphs, checking system resource utilization, and parsing verbose log files. points for familiarity with Kubernetes
Databases for analytics and cloud applications
SingleStore is one platform for all data, built so you can engage with insight in every moment. Trusted by industry leaders, SingleStore enables enterprises to adapt to change as it happens, embrace diverse data with ease, and accelerate the pace of innovation.
- Comprehensive Insurance - Customize a benefits plan that include health, dental and vision that best fits you and your family.
- Vacation - Flexible time off, sick and parental leave programs, plus company holidays.
- Company Stock Grants - As a privately held company, we strive to give meaningful stock grants through our equity program.
- Wellness Programs - Fitness subsidy, Modern Health App Subscription, Team Happy Hours and events.
- Personalized Workstation - Home Workstation. We provide the laptop, you design your home office any way you want it with a $500 equipment stipend.
- Career Development - Matching Charitable Donations. Corporate donation matching to charitable organizations with 1-week of paid volunteer time off.
- Contribute from Anywhere - Work remotely if it makes sense for you, your position, your team, and the company.
- And more... Commuter benefits, monthly cell phone and internet stipend, 401k, food perks, Fertility & Family Formation reimbursement, FSA and team events and company offsites.
Company Core Values
- Customers First - Understand our customers, help them succeed, and be easy to do business with.
- Performance Driven - Set bold objectives, have measurable results, demand accountability, and be part of the solution.
- Innovation Forward - Achieve greatness through simplicity, quality, and intelligence.
- Open & Honest Communication - Communicate transparently, effectively, and with integrity.