QuoteWell is a Series A startup on a mission to transform the commercial insurance landscape, historically governed by inefficient manual processes and poorly-designed tech. We are a small team with deep experience in tech, product, and insurance. We are supported by seasoned advisors and investors with extensive experience across insurtech / fintech. NEA, a top 5 VC, is our lead investor. Our current employees have worked at Google, McKinsey, Aon, Meta, Microsoft, Palantir, and various startups and companies across insurance and tech. At heart, we’re a bunch of happy nerds who like solving challenging problems.
Our vision is to build a digital ecosystem for commercial insurance. We want to simplify insurance transactions by efficiently connecting insurance agencies to carriers and building the tools needed by the modern insurance industry - a trillion-dollar market opportunity.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, you will be responsible for accounting activities and financial reporting for our company. As the first person in this influential and vital individual contributor role, you will develop and maintain accounting principles, practices, and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. You will manage the relationship with our external accounting partner, and oversee a multitude of accounting activities, including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, year-end close, tax and audit preparation, and support for budgeting and forecasting. This role will be instrumental in providing internal financial accounting guidance and you will partner with cross functional leaders, including external partners. The ideal candidate is a collaborative player/coach who is happiest in a fast-paced, action-oriented environment and is excited about the opportunity to continue to build QuoteWell’s accounting function over the next several years.
What you’ll do
- Oversee all core accounting functions, including revenue, opex, and AR/AP
- Design and own all company accounting systems and spearhead complex system implementations
- Lead and contribute to the preparation, review, and accuracy of all financial, managerial, and investor reporting, including streamlining QuoteWell’s monthly close process
- Assist in annual budget planning, as well as company budget variance analysis
- Oversee the relationship with a 3rd party accounting firm responsible for annual and other tax return requirements (including surplus lines taxes)
- Represent QuoteWell in an outward-facing role with contractors and vendors as you lead A/P, and with customers as you handle A/R
- Evaluate and continually improve accounting procedures, processes and systems to ensure operational efficiency and compliance
- Execute on ad hoc projects
What you’ll need
- Bachelor’s degree with 5-10 years of progressive experience in a start-up environment
- Desire and ability to create and scale accounting processes within a fast-paced and growing company
- A deep understanding of US GAAP and financial reporting requirements (CPA preferred)
- Strong project management skills with the ability to lead multiple high priority initiatives on concurrent timelines
- Experience influencing and building consensus with Sales, RevOps, and HR leaders to improve the efficiency and accuracy of Accounting systems and processes
- The ability to communicate and simplify complex concepts to various stakeholders across the organization
- Revenue recognition experience with enterprise contracts, SaaS experience, and/or ASC606 is strongly preferred
- Commercial insurance experience (both admitted and non-standard lines) is not required but a big plus
What we offer our full-time employees
- Competitive salaries + equity in the company
- Medical, Dental, and Vision healthcare benefits + FSA and HSA options
- Flexible vacation policy to recharge and live life
- Paid membership to One Medical for employees, spouses / domestic partners, and dependents
- Company-sponsored 401K plan (Roth & Traditional)
- Paid parental leave and generous family forming benefits and reimbursements through Carrot
- An opportunity to work on solutions that are redefining the future of commercial insurance
- A culture driven by a focus on impact, a shared growth mindset, empowered individuals, and integrity
We know that diverse, equitable, and inclusive teams enable us to elevate each other and better support our customers. We believe it’s never too early to set the stage for a positive workplace with a strong culture. Please take a look at our team principles here.
We are committed to equal opportunity and fairness regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, the nation of origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, country of citizenship, medical condition, marital or domestic partner status, family status, family care status, military or veteran status or any other basis protected by local, state or federal laws.