Rebellion Defensebuilds the modern mission stack for detecting and deterring adversaries at scale. We deliver technology for the protection of the United States, the United Kingdom, and our allies. We are building a team of the world’s best technologists to work on products that defend democracy, humanitarian values, and the rule of global law with the purpose of peace.
Our people are passionate about creating a company where technologists empower the military and our civil servants to solve some of the hardest problems in government. Rebellion Defense is driven by our mission — but a set of core values binds us together: we hire by them, operate through them, and uphold them in every decision we make for ourselves and for our customers.
We are hiring a Backend Software Engineer to join our team. We operate from our London engineering hub and practice a hybrid working model. Relocation assistance may be provided. Occasional travel may be required.
As a Backend Software Engineer, you will:
- Own technical design for projects of moderate complexity, and understand the tradeoffs in creating good software in a complex area.
- Write high-quality, well-tested code, and effectively debug systems.
- Use your broader skills as a developer to help engineer and run stable, scalable backend systems and data pipelines in production.
- Help to drive strategic technical direction for product development and effectively communicate with colleagues to build greater technical expertise around the team.
- Identify and manage risks in code, features, and design, and communicate these to the appropriate parties.
- Participate in code reviews, pairing, etc. to solicit and incorporate feedback and help others on the team.
- Keep up to date with industry best practices and trends.
Qualifications for this position include:
- Ability to obtain and hold an active security clearance.
- Experience in modern programming languages.
- Experience helping to provide technical mentoring and guidance for team members.
- Experience in identifying and resolving performance, scalability, and stability issues.
- Experience working in product engineering teams and familiarity with sprint/scrum or other agile methodology.
- Clear communication with both technical and non-technical team members and stakeholders.
Preferred Qualifications for this position include:
- Experience with our backend languages of choice (Python 3 and Golang).
- An understanding of the principles of distributed systems architecture and development.
- Exposure to technologies for orchestrating compute over terabyte-scale datasets.
We embrace diversity and difference, and believe that broadening the perspectives of our teams will help enable innovation and lead to better outcomes. We encourage your application even if you may not meet all the preferred qualifications. We work collaboratively as a team to support one another in our mission and promote professional development.
The nature of our work:
Many of the national security programs that are supported by Rebellion’s products operate in secure environments. It is a requirement of this position that you are able to obtain and hold a personnel security clearance.
Rebellion Defense is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit and business needs. We believe in building a diverse team. All candidates will be given equal consideration irrespective of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. We are aware that you may need a reasonable adjustment to perform at your best during the interview process. If you require any reasonable adjustments during your interview process, please email [email protected]