Staff Systems Engineer, Compute
Posted on 3/8/2022
Canada, KS, USA
- Ability to write programs and scripts in at least one of the following languages: Ruby, Python, or Golang
- Experience working with low-level infrastructure such as Linux systems, Kubernetes, and/or public cloud providers
- Experience leading cross-functional infrastructure projects with significant organizational impact
- Identify the shared compute needs across Stripe, understand their specific requirements, and prioritize solutions
- Lead projects to design, build, and maintain tooling used by all of Stripe's engineering teams
- Along with software engineers, troubleshoot production issues across services and levels of the stack and translate your learnings into tooling or process improvements
- Optimize the OS and systems for performance and security
- Work with partner teams to enable new technologies and hardware architectures
- Work with core infrastructure teams to drive performance and efficiency wins for Stripe services
- Mentor less-experienced engineers on your team and other teams
- Public cloud providers (we use AWS)
- Infrastructure as Code (we use Terraform and custom tooling)
- Managing a fleet of Linux systems at scale in a 24x7 production environment
- Configuration management tools (we use Puppet)
- Container orchestration (we use Kubernetes)
- Software development experience beyond simple scripts
Payment processing platform
Stripe's mission is to increase the GDP of the internet. Stripe is a technology company that builds economic infrastructure for the internet.
- Inclusive coverage - We provide a thoughtful and balanced set of benefits that allow Stripes to be their best selves and do great work. Whether that means offering comprehensive mental, physical, and medical health plans, supporting Stripes’ financial futures, providing fertility benefits and parental leave, or making sure Stripes have access to healthy food at the office, our robust programs put Stripes and their families first.
- Growth by way of learning - We are voracious learners and teachers. Our Education team delivers an onboarding and product training curriculum for all new Stripes, and hosts expert-led courses on things like project management fundamentals and macroeconomics. Beyond the formal program, Stripes are constantly sharing knowledge with each other through conversation, documentation, reading groups, and informal talks.
- A principled approach to food - The food program holds a special place in Stripe’s history and future. These Stripes come to our kitchen from a breadth of backgrounds and experiences, and focus on one proposition—respect. This is apparent not only in the local ingredients they work with or in the gracious, teamwork-driven buffet lines, but also in their approach to growing a global team through sustainable food practices and minimal waste.
- An environment of growth
- Intentional communication
- Fast-paced, detail oriented
- Voraciously curious