Wheel is the health tech company powering the next generation of healthcare. The entire healthcare industry is racing to serve patients online, but outdated business models, technologies, and mindsets are continuing to get in the way. We pioneered a new way for companies to build and scale virtual care.
Instead of starting from scratch, companies can leverage Wheel’s virtual care platform and nationwide clinician network to develop a virtual care service — bypassing the 15 months and $15 million it can take to build from the ground up. Today, Wheel powers the most innovative companies in healthcare today, including digital health companies, clinical lab networks, retailers, traditional healthcare providers, and tech companies.
We’re a team of experts and innovators working together to solve some of healthcare’s most challenging problems in order to put great care within everyone’s reach. We’ve raised $216 million in funding and backed by top investors including Lightspeed Venture Partners, Tiger Global, Coatue, CRV, Tusk Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, and Silverton Partners.
In the last year we’re proud to have been named:
- Forbes Next Billion Dollar Startups
- Built In’s Best Remote-First Places to Work
- CB Insights Digital Health 150
- Business Insider 30 Leaders under 40 Changing Healthcare
We’re looking for people to join our team who share a passion for making a positive difference in healthcare and feel connected to our core values.
Wheel is seeking a high-performing leader to join our legal and compliance team. The Associate General Counsel will perform legal, commercial, regulatory, and compliance functions in the telehealth realm and report to Wheel’s General Counsel. This position requires an autonomous leader and problem solver that can work cross-functionally to tackle complex challenges across the organization. If you get excited by the idea of working with a close-knit group of smart, team-oriented and hungry colleagues to change the way healthcare works, we’d love to hear from you!
- Lead legal negotiations for commercial transactions and partner with the sales team to close transactions in a timely and efficient manner.
- Draft and review a variety of complex commercial agreements, including SaaS, MSAs, and Telehealth Collaboration Agreements.
- Consider all legal and regulatory considerations relevant to contracting for health care software and services, including but not limited to fraud and abuse, HIPAA, and corporate practice of medicine.
- Iterate on and improve the current contracting process. Use experience gained from supporting commercial transactions to help define business terms and structure deals in the most optimal way.
- Develop, maintain and refine legal templates and negotiation playbooks.
- Serve as Legal point of contact for sales team, handling new contract requests, renewals, amendments, and expansions.
- Provide thoughtful and practical business and legal advice to drive development of relationships with Wheel, partners, and vendors. Represent Wheel in external meetings and negotiations alongside the sales team.
- Identify and explain agreement terms and associated risks to business stakeholders and interpret contract requirements, obligations and risk assessment or exposure, and advise accordingly
- Stay up-to-date on relevant industry, commercial and other laws, regulations, and developments to be able to give the most effective advice.
Regulatory & Compliance
- Support clinical operations and commercial teams concerning regulatory issues arising from new partnerships.
- Advise the Implementation team on compliance issues with telehealth solutions Wheel is launching with its clients.
- Conduct internal investigations related to privacy and security incidents.
- Maintain regulatory databases containing key resources for internal teams.
- Negotiate key terms in business associate agreements.
- Support the General Counsel as needed, which involves conducting legal research, maintaining compliant employment agreement templates, and reviewing vendor agreements and NDAs, etc.
- Perform corporate governance, including maintaining Wheel’s 50-state network of entities.
- Manage Wheel’s intellectual property portfolio by drafting cease and desist letters, submitting trademark applications, responding to office actions, and collaborating with outside counsel to submit international patent applications.
- Triage and respond to legal requests fielded from the organization.
Skills & Qualifications
- 3-5 years of experience in commercial contracting and healthcare regulatory law at a law firm or in-house
- Subject matter expertise in telehealth laws and regulations, including Anti-Kickback Statute, fee-splitting laws, Corporate Practice of Medicine, and HIPAA
- Experience drafting and negotiating agreements
- A JD degree from an accredited law school in the United States
- Licensed attorney in a U.S. jurisdiction
- A compelling storyteller, able to communicate complex ideas and concepts in accessible ways
- Able to solve problems from first principles and resist “this is how it’s always been done” thinking
- Comfortable operating at 40,000 feet and 1 foot. Willing to get in the weeds and operate at the lowest level of detail, but just as comfortable thinking long-term
- Unafraid of ambiguity, able to thrive in startup environments that feature rapid change
- Exceptional analytical, conceptual and problem-solving abilities
- An appetite and aptitude to quickly gain expertise in new industries and business types
- Comfort solving problems independently or with little guidance
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
At Wheel, we know we will go further together by celebrating diversity and that starts by honoring each of our unique lived experiences. We look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups: women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds. We are committed to ensuring a safe work environment where employees are not discriminated against based on age, race, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, national origin, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer that believes in health, equity, equality, and prosperity for all so we can succeed in changing the way healthcare works.