Owned by Tokyo-based Rakuten and headquartered in Toronto, Rakuten Kobo Inc. is one of the world’s most innovative eReading services, offering more than 6 million eBooks and audiobooks to millions of customers in 190 countries with the Kobo and tolino brands. Kobo believes in giving customers the freedom to read any book on any device and offers an eReader for everyone. With a wide selection of E Ink eReaders for every reading style. Kobo’s award-winning eReaders can be found in major retail chains around the world.
If you’re looking for a company that inspires passion, personal, and professional growth – join Kobo and come help us make reading lives better.
At Kobo, we believe the transition of reading from print to digital has only just begun. Our lineup of Kobo and tolino eReaders represents our flagship reading experience that will propel this transition forward. As Product Manager for our device portfolio and device software experience, your role will be to lead this transition. We’ve recently introduced stylus markup and notebook experiences to our devices, as well as recycled materials in devices and packaging. This is just the beginning of a bigger push on device innovation that will ignite the next stage of growth in digital reading.
Rakuten Kobo is looking for a highly motivated Director of Product Manager to handle all phases of the device product life cycle, from ideation to development, launch and beyond.
You will report to Rakuten Kobo’s SVP of product and work with an outstanding team that has consistently delivered the best eReaders in the world, in a very driven space. Because our devices are a gateway to books and bookstores, you will be immersed in the world of books and reading.
- You will lead the eReader portfolio product management function, with responsibility for the definition of Rakuten Kobo’s device portfolio,
- You are proficient with the four core functions of product management:
- Understand the user, our business and the broader market. This means working with our user experience, industrial design research and product marketing teams to become the expert in the market space of ereaders.
- Identify the right user problems to solve based on user and business impact.
- Deliver by working with the software and hardware development teams to prioritize, plan, and implement.
- Analyse the data to understand how the product is working and then plan for what comes next
- You will define a vision, strategy and roadmap for the eReader device portfolio and the associated software roadmap and communicate it throughout the organization to gain alignment and prioritization.
- You will lead a small team of device software product managers passionate about delivering an outstanding reading experience and a welcoming and personalized book buying experience.
- You will work closely and cross functionally with engineering, design, marketing, sales and other functions within Rakuten Kobo.
- Have delivered a portfolio of consumer electronics devices, ideally with a focus on content and media.
- Understand the importance of design and end user experience for the success of consumer devices, and know how to determine the most important user problems to address.
- Have very strong analytic and quantitative skills and probably have a technology background (and maybe an MBA). But, that’s less important than experience as a product manager delivering high impact consumer products while working with hardware and software development teams.
- Complement your analytic abilities with insight, excellent communications skills, and the ability to work effectively with different people across the organization.
- Flexible hours and remote working environment
- Full benefits starting from your first day
- Monthly commuting allowance and internet allowance
- Flexible health spending account
- Talent and development training budget
- Free Kobo device + free weekly e-book or audiobooks
- Weekly Kobo Tech University sessions
- Parental leave top up
About Rakuten Kobo Inc.
Owned by Tokyo-based Rakuten and headquartered in Toronto, Rakuten Kobo Inc. is one of the most advanced global e-commerce companies, with the world’s most innovative eReading services offering more than 6 million eBooks and audiobooks to 30 million + customers in 190 countries. Kobo delivers the best digital reading experience through creative innovation, award-winning eReaders, and top-ranking mobile apps. Kobo is a part of the Rakuten group of companies.
tolino – eReading made in Germany. The tolino brand is backed by an alliance of Rakuten Kobo and leading German booksellers Thalia, Weltbild, Hugendubel, Mayersche Buchhandlung and Osiander as well as Libri with some 1,500 linked and independent bookstores across Germany. Since its launch in March 2013, the tolino alliance has become one of the leading brands for digital reading in the German-speaking world.
Rakuten Kobo Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Accessibility accommodations for candidates with disabilities participating in the selection process are available on request. Any information received related to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
Rakuten Kobo would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this role however only qualified candidates will be shortlisted.