We exist to wow our customers. We know we’re doing the right thing when we hear our customers say, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Born out of an obsession to make shopping, eating, and living easier than ever, we’re collectively disrupting the multi-billion-dollar e-commerce industry from the ground up. We are one of the fastest-growing e-commerce companies that established an unparalleled reputation for being a dominant and reliable force in South Korean commerce.
We are proud to have the best of both worlds — a startup culture with the resources of a large global public company. This fuels us to continue our growth and launch new services at the speed we have been since our inception. We are all entrepreneurial surrounded by opportunities to drive new initiatives and innovations. At our core, we are bold and ambitious people that like to get our hands dirty and make a hands-on impact. At Coupang, you will see yourself, your colleagues, your team, and the company grow every day.
Our mission to build the future of commerce is real. We push the boundaries of what’s possible to solve problems and break traditional tradeoffs. Join Coupang now to create an epic experience in this always-on, high-tech, and hyper-connected world.
Search & Discovery is the most critical customer facing experience within Coupang, relevantly match-making the billions of products to customer intent. We are building the next-generation infrastructure to sustain the hyper-growth of the business for the coming years. We are looking for an experienced and passionate engineer leader that can drive this effort across the stack, including serving, pipelines, and machine learning.
The desired candidate can dive deep in underlying components, design and optimize the stack end-to-end and be a role model for building high-quality infrastructure and delivering results with grit. Key to this position’s success will require the ability to understand business needs and work backwards to develop technical solutions while working effectively with leaders of individual teams and align technical directions with key stakeholders.
This position will report directly to the engineering VP of Search and Discovery and will offer the autonomy to explore various areas and discover the next big innovation that infuses machine learning and deep learning into search stack.
What You Will Do
- Oversee the end-end Search & Discovery systems and help design the next-generation systems to support the business growth
- Have strong execution with the ability to drive key developments and overcome technical blockers
- Ensure solid system designs and operational excellence
- Be metrics driven and can identify big opportunities
- Build strong collaborations with partner teams
- Recruit and develop world-class talent
- 10+ years of industry experience on technology companies.
- Have a broad and deep understanding on key technologies including storage, data processing, search, and serving.
- Solid track record of delivering large and complex systems with big business impacts.
- Strong design and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communications and collaborations across teams and across functionalities.
- Working experiences on advertising systems.
- Leading or managing big teams.
Pay & Benefits
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. At Coupang, your base pay is one part of your total compensation.
The base pay for this position ranges from $197,820/year in our lowest geographic market to $367,380/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on several factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
General Description of All Benefits
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life, AD&D insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) & Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Long-term/Short-term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) program
- 401K Plan with Company Match
- 18-21 days of the Paid Time Off (PTO) a year based on the tenure
- 12 Public Holidays
- Paid Parental leave
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- MTV - [Free] Electric Car Charging Station
General Description of Other Compensation
“Other Compensation” includes, but is not limited to, bonuses, equity, or other forms of compensation that would be offered to the hired applicant in addition to their established salary range or wage scale.
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to actual or perceived race (including traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hair styles), color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, ,ancestry, national origin (including language use restrictions), age (40 and over), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C status, family status (including but not limited to marital or domestic partnership status), military or veteran status, use of a trained dog guide or service animal, political activities or affiliations, ancestry, citizenship, family and medical leave status, status as a victim of any violent crime, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Coupang is also committed to providing a safe work environment for its employees and its consumers. As a condition of employment, Coupang requires employees to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19, subject to legally required accommodations. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application of recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at [email protected].