Braze (Nasdaq: BRZE) is a leading, comprehensive customer engagement platform that powers interactions between consumers and brands they love. With Braze, global brands like Burger King, Delivery Hero, HBO Max, Mercari, and Venmo can ingest and process customer data in real time, orchestrate and optimize contextually relevant, cross-channel marketing campaigns, and continuously evolve their customer engagement strategies. And we do it at scale – last fiscal year our customers used Braze to send approximately 1.5 trillion messages to billions of monthly active users.
But we’re so much more than our platform. Although we’ve recently grown to a team of over 1,300 people, Braze still buzzes with energy, collaboration, and transparency. We value curiosity, individuality, and tenacity—as part of the team, you’ll be encouraged to take your seat at the table and create your own destiny. Our values are inspired by our employees, which means Braze is a place where you can truly be yourself. We’re growing, with a focus on building for the long term under tenured leadership and continuing to evolve for the better.
Need more proof? Braze is proudly certified as a Great Place to Work® in the U.S. and the UK. In 2022, Braze ranked #1 on Fortune’s Best Small and Medium Workplace in New York, #5 on Fortune’s Best Workplaces for Millennials in the US, and #11 on Fortune’s Best Medium Sized Workplace for Women in the UK.
You’ll find many of us at headquarters in New York City or around the world in Austin, Berlin, Chicago, London, Paris, San Francisco, Singapore, Tokyo, and Toronto.
Database Reliability Engineers (DBREs) are responsible for keeping the database systems that power Braze’s platform running smoothly. In a nutshell, DBREs ensure database uptime and performance. DBREs are a blend of traditional database administration powerhouses and software engineers that apply best-in-class engineering principles, operational discipline, software development, and mature automation to the databases we provide to the business (primarily MongoDB and PostgreSQL).
Our team architects and helps us improve data layouts, query patterns, and infrastructure reliability, and empowers Braze’s other engineering teams to easily and efficiently leverage our databases. Braze operates at a massive scale with over 4.7 billion monthly active users across our customers, collecting hundreds of billions of data points each month and sending billions of messages to end-users daily. We use a diverse technology stack rooted in Ruby on Rails, MongoDB, Redis, Kafka, PostgreSQL, Kubernetes, and more. As a Database Reliability Engineer at Braze, you will collaborate with your teammates and the engineering teams utilizing databases to continuously improve the performance, availability, infrastructure, and tools critical to Braze’s platform.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Partner with Braze’s engineering teams on:
- Architecting products to utilize data in a scalable, reliable manner effectively.
- Debugging reliability and scalability issues across all data layers, including the products that utilize our databases.
- Rolling out changes with our SREs to our production environment and helping mitigate database-related production incidents.
- Develop Braze’s database infrastructure:
- Provide database expertise through reviews of database migrations, queries, and performance optimizations.
- Planning for database growth and managing capacity.
- Make monitoring alert on symptoms and SLOs, not outages
- Manage incidents:
- Be on a PagerDuty rotation to respond to availability incidents and support other engineers.
- Retrospect everything that happens to turn lessons into system improvements/changes, automation, etc.
WHO YOU ARE
- 5+ years of experience with NoSQL (MongoDB preferred) and SQL (PostgreSQL preferred) databases at scale
- 3+ years of experience as a Database Administrator or Database Reliability Engineer
- Excel at collaboration, documentation, and enablement of partner teams.
- Collaborating across the global remote teams, often working asynchronously.
- Document everything so you don’t need to learn the same thing (or plan the same work) twice.
- Delivering fast to delight our customers–even internal ones
- Building technical documentation and enablement to allow for deep knowledge sharing
- Recent experience with “managed” cloud databases platforms such as RDS and Aurora
- Recent experience with database vendor support programs
- Experience building database SLO/SLIs and keeping them
For candidates based in the United States, the pay range for this position at the start of employment is expected to be between $144,000 and $228,000/year with an expected On Target Earnings (OTE) between $180,000 and $240,000/year (including bonus or commission). Your exact offer may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. In addition to cash compensation, Braze offers full- and part- time employees a comprehensive Total Rewards package that includes equity grants of restricted stock (RSUs) so that all Braze employees own a piece of our company.
WHAT WE OFFER
From comprehensive benefits to remote availability to flexible time off, we’ve got you covered so you can prioritize work-life harmony.
- Competitive compensation that includes equity
- Retirement and Employee Stock Purchase Plans
- Flexible paid time off
- Comprehensive benefit plans covering medical, dental, vision, life, and disability
- Family services that include fertility benefits and equal paid parental leave
- Global presence, dog-friendly offices, and remote availability
- Professional development supported by formal career pathing, learning platforms, and tuition reimbursement
- Community engagement opportunities throughout the year, including an annual company wide Volunteerism Week
- Employee Resource Groups that provide supportive communities within Braze
- Collaborative, transparent, and fun culture recognized as a Great Place to Work®
Details of these benefit plans will be provided if a candidate receives an offer of employment. Benefits may vary by location.