Principal Software Engineer
Confirmed live in the last 24 hours
Real Estate Technology
Side is re-imagining the real estate industry from the ground up by combining innovative technology, creative branding expertise, and an experienced leadership team with a mission to empower the world’s leading real estate professionals to own their brand and better serve home buyers and sellers.
San Francisco, California
Growth & Insights
6 month growth↓ -8%
1 year growth↓ -8%
2 year growth↓ -8%
Remote in USA
- At least 10+ years of experience building web applications in production environments
- Proficiency in writing clean, documented, and well-tested Typescript code
- Experience with production Node.js code, preferably with Fastify or other frameworks
- Experience with SQL databases
- Proficiency in React/Next.js for frontend development
- Experience with application performance monitoring and observability tools like Datadog
- Experience with Jest for unit tests and Cypress for frontend End-to-end tests
- Experience mentoring other engineers
- Desirable: Experience with GraphQL or accessibility
- Delivering medium to large projects and features to the Node.js/PostgreSQL/Redis backend and Next.js applications
- Writing a full suite of automated tests with every new feature and bug fix
- Evaluating and articulating end-to-end designs for strengths and weaknesses
- Identifying tech debt and making recommendations on how to tackle it
- Working with and mentoring other engineers
- Upholding application performance, security, and standard methodologies within the organization
- Experience with GraphQL or accessibility
At Side, we believe everyone should own their path.
Side is a real estate startup that pioneered the concept of brokerage-as-a-service to help top real estate professionals create and run their own companies without having to operate a brokerage. Our proprietary platform makes the real estate transaction process far more efficient for both agents and home buyers/sellers.
Before Side, exceptional real estate agents had two choices: You could join an antiquated traditional brokerage, relinquish control of your business, and pay hefty fees for marginal value. Or you could start your own independent brokerage, massively increase your liability, and take on the burden of running your own back office. We created a third option: Own your own business and run it on the Side platform. Agents get to focus on what they do best — selling real estate — while Side operates in the background to facilitate their transactions, and help them grow.
Side is led by experienced industry professionals and world-class engineers who develop technology designed to improve agent productivity and enhance the client experience. The company is backed by over $300 million in funding from top-tier venture capital firms, including Coatue, Tiger, D1, Sapphire, Trinity, and Matrix.. Headquartered in San Francisco, Side currently operates in 16 states, with plans to expand nationwide in the coming years. We were named Company of the Year by Inman News (the leading industry publication) and a Most Innovative Company of 2022 by Fast Company.
At Side, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate and innovate your way to success. Becoming an inSider means that you’ll be empowering business leaders to become business owners, all while forging your own path with like-minded entrepreneurs. Join us at Side and own your career, your impact, and your life!
ABOUT THE TEAM
The Engineering organization is about 45 engineers and 6 teams. We appreciate diversity of thought and backgrounds. The Transaction Engineering team is responsible for building the features of our main product offering.
What You’ll Be Doing
- As a member of the Transaction Engineering team, you will deliver medium to large projects and features to our Node.js/PostgreSQL/Redis backend and our Next.js applications. You will also write a full suite of automated tests with every new feature and bug fix to ensure production stability (unit, integration, e2e)
- You will also be in charge of evaluating and articulating end-to-end designs for strengths and weaknesses (e.g., complexity, quality, scalability, security, performance, etc) as well as identifying tech debt and making recommendations on how to tackle it
- You will work with and help mentor other engineers, help in crafting solutions to problems, and communicate with leadership about the needs of the team
- Lastly, you will uphold application performance, security, and standard methodologies within the organization by providing constructive criticism during code reviews and solution reviews.
- We are seeking someone with at least 10+ years of experience building web applications in production environments. You should be able to write clean, documented, and well-tested Typescript code
- On the backend side, you must have experience writing production Node.js code. We use Fastify but any experience with other frameworks is welcome. In your past experiences, you designed and implemented APIs, and transformed requirements into clear business logic. You have experience with SQL databases.
- On the frontend side, you have worked with React/Next.js for the last few years. You should be comfortable with web development best practices.
- You have experience with application performance monitoring and observability tools like Datadog to keep an eye on the health of our production environment
- You should also have experience with testing. At Side, we use Jest for unit tests and Cypress for frontend End-to-end tests. You should have experience writing meaningful tests with both frameworks
- On top of being a great engineer, you have experience mentoring other engineers who need help and guidance
- It would be a plus if you have experience with GraphQL or accessibility but it is not required
Side is dedicated to working with the highest skilled people from the most inclusive talent pool feasible. We maintain that diversity in all aspects leads to positive change, solutions and innovation for our customers and career fulfillment for our employees. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply!
Side uses the E-Verify employment verification program.
Our stewardship of the data of many of our customers means that a background and DRE license check is required to join Side. We will, nonetheless, consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accord with applicable law, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.