Dorchester, Boston, MA, USA
Found Energy is a Boston-based, clean energy company producing a carbon-free fuel that is lower-cost and more energy-dense than fossil fuels. This will enable us to decarbonize the most challenging and carbon-intensive industries which are unaddressed by existing technology portfolios. Our technology uses metallic aluminum as the carbon-free fuel to produce hydrogen on-demand for less than $0.50 per kilogram and at five times the volumetric energy density of liquid hydrogen.
Originally spun out of MIT, we are now scaling and translating our hydrogen generation technology to both commercial and humanitarian applications, taking on both the causes and effects of climate change. In the long term, our technology positions aluminum and other materials as carbon-free energy carriers that address the often overlooked problem of renewable energy transportation. At Found Energy, we believe in securing a livable and equitable future for our planet, and we are looking for talented people who are motivated by this goal to join us. For more, visit https://www.found.energy.
Found Energy has demonstrated its core hydrogen generation technologies at the kW-scale, including a system capable of powering a full-sized electric vehicle. We are now working towards a minimum viable product (MVP) and commercial pilot that represents a substantial step forward in both scale and impact. R&D interns/co-ops will work with Found Energy engineers to help design, fabricate, and test the various subcomponents of our MVP, as well as supporting their integration and system-level validation. Beyond developing the MVP, R&D interns/co-ops will also engage in technology development in line with the company’s strategic technical roadmap. Finally, there are opportunities to work on a humanitarian aid project in partnership with USAID to enable the use of debris from the aftermath of natural disasters to power electricity generation and seawater desalination in. As part of this opportunity, R&D interns/co-ops will also work directly with our design and validation partners in the Dominican Republic.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Work with R&D engineers on developing and carrying out initial R&D program
- Design and fabricate prototype hydrogen-generation systems (10-100 kW)
- Spec prototype system components (e.g. pumps, sensors, fuel cells)
- Build out sensor monitoring, data collection, and control software
- Generate IP related to the main business verticals of the company
- Interface with partners on humanitarian aid projects
- Deeply motivated by the climate crisis and its downstream impacts
- Pursuing education in mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, materials science and engineering, or related fields
- Track record of strong academic and/or project-based performance
- Exceptional communication and documentation skills
- Experience in one or multiple of the following:
- Mechanical design, CAD, and/or rapid prototyping practices
- Mechanical fabrication (subtractive/additive manufacturing, welding, etc.)
- Electromechanical interfaces (sensors, microcontrollers, relays, etc.)
- Power conditioning and electronics (boost/buck converters, rectifiers, PCB design, etc.)
- Fluid and/or gas handling systems, including safety and compliance
- Fuel cells and battery systems
- Familiarity with Linux/Unix-based operating systems via command line
- Familiarity with one or more software languages (Python, C++, MATLAB, etc.)
- Thermodynamics theory and modeling software (e.g. EES, REFPROP)
Research suggests that qualified people from historically marginalized groups may self-select out of opportunities if they don’t meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage individuals who might not meet the exact requirements, but who believe they have the skills necessary to thrive to apply for this role.
Found Energy does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.