Senior Lab Operations Manager
Updated on 11/13/2023
Programmable cell therapy company
ArsenalBio’s mission is to develop efficacious and safe cellular therapies for patients with chronic diseases, initially cancer. ArsenalBio is creating products are being designed to herald the transition of adoptive cell therapy from a hospital based treatment to outpatient therapy, like most other cancer treatments.
AI & Machine Learning
Data & Analytics
South San Francisco, California
Growth & Insights
6 month growth↑ 1%
1 year growth↑ 17%
2 year growth↑ 66%
San Bruno, CA, USA
Operations & Logistics
- Bachelor’s degree in science or engineering related discipline
- 8+ years of progressive experience in operational leadership in R&D and GMP/GLP laboratory, biotechnology or pharmaceutical environment
- 3+ years of proven success leading teams of lab operations staff and vendors
- Proven track record in managing and scaling lab operations
- Understand laboratory supply streams, waste streams, and have experience working in an R&D and GMP and GLP laboratory environment
- Is known for being highly customer service oriented and has a track record of anticipating the needs of all customers, including bench scientists
- Demonstrated drive, curiosity, scientific rigor, and excellent problem-solving skills across a fast-paced performance driven environment
- Ability to operate effectively at both an operational and strategic level
- Ability to constructively challenge, improve and develop lab operations practices and processes
- Self-motivated with the proven ability to take ownership and deliver results in an environment with ambiguity and change
- Strong knowledge of laboratory EHS compliance laws and industrial hygiene regulations
- Knowledge of clinical and/or public health microbiology and general lab practices
- Knowledge and skill in the application of physical containment requirements for safely working with biohazardous material
- Experience working with bloodborne pathogens in BSL2 labs
- Skillful at driving, managing and maintaining change
- Excellent organizational, written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritize as needed in a start-up environment
- Establish and maintain an infrastructure to enable a structured laboratory operation framework across labs including capital plan/expenditures (from forecast to installation), lab equipment and instrumentation (i.e., contracts, maintenance, repair, calibration, upgrade and retiring)
- Partner with EHS to ensure that safety takes priority and develop procedures and processes to make sure our labs and employees are operating safely at all times
- Work with EH&S Manager to manage EH&S programs at the site to include, but not limited to, Incident Management, Ergonomics, Exposure Risk Assessments, Chemical Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Biosafety Management, Respiratory Protection, Hearing Conservation and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), etc.
- Work with EH&S Manager to ensure the site is compliant with all environmental and safety regulations, including Federal, State and/or City regulations
- Provide strategic direction, technical supervision, and support to the lab operations team who supports day-to-day operations. Lead operational performance reviews and establish business / individual objectives.
- Drive improvements in service level, efficiency and cost reduction through standardization of common practices, implementation lean lab techniques and utilization of metrics. Create a platform to share ideas within the lab operations team and with clients including the application of best practices. Establish relationships and service standards and coverage to meet lab-based personnel’s needs.
- Establish and own a laboratory business continuity plan as well as extended-hours coverage and response plan.
- Build and improve relationships with partners (i.e., Research Associates, Scientists) and key functions within (i.e., Project Management, Procurement, Legal, Accounts Payable) through proactive engagement and communication.
- Accountable for overall delivery and performance across lab operations.
- In Collaboration with lab leadership, proactively identify and resolve risks/issues.
- Responsible for developing and executing a strategy for servicing laboratories, including equipment and instrumentation, scheduling, and lab capacity utilization.
- Establish relationships and service standards and coverage to meet lab-based personnel’s needs.
- Support the development, budgeting, and execution of a three (3) year capital project plan.
- Establish common practices to obtain quotes, submit contract for legal review, place orders, prepare for location set-up (Preparation of bench space, request IT support on computer and network, request Facilities support on utilities), manage equipment delivery, installation, and set-up for use.
- Manage and prioritize inputs from diverse stakeholders to deploy operating plans that meet the needs of the business.
- Proficiency planning and managing small projects.
- Actively participate in space planning and reorganization
- Coordinate lab user onboarding and offboarding
- Assist the Equipment Team with coordination of equipment repairs and maintenance
- Manage lab inspections and ensure compliance with local and state guidelines
- Experience in a start-up environment
- Experience with lean lab techniques (e.g., 5S, Kanban, visual management)
- Experience with laboratory business continuity planning
- Experience with laboratory equipment and instrumentation
- Experience with laboratory EHS compliance
- Experience with bloodborne pathogens and biohazardous material
- Experience with capital project planning and execution
- Experience with space planning and reorganization