Technical Lead Manager
Updated on 2/8/2024
AI systems for practical real-world applications
Imbue is a pioneering company in the AI industry, focusing on the development of reasoning AI systems that aim to enhance human-computer interaction and productivity. Their competitive edge lies in their unique approach to training foundation models optimized for reasoning, which they then utilize to prototype agents that can accomplish larger goals safely in the real world. With a culture that values empowerment, freedom, and dignity, Imbue is leading the industry in redefining the concept of the personal computer, making it a compelling place to work.
AI & Machine Learning
Data & Analytics
San Francisco, California
Growth & Insights
6 month growth↑ 0%
1 year growth↑ 100%
2 year growth↑ 180%
San Francisco, CA, USA
AI & Machine Learning
- Proficiency in Python
- Knowledgeable about machine learning
- Experience in mentoring and pair programming
- Passionate about people, mentorship, and teaching
- Strong coding skills
- Code as an individual contributor to the technical roadmap
- Mentor and pair program with other engineers
- Perform code reviews and provide feedback
- Help establish best practices and standards in the codebase
- Experience in training deep neural networks
- Familiarity with the latest machine learning theory and practice
We are looking for a technical leader who can lead a strong team of versatile engineers both through direct guidance and by example. You will provide guidance to team members on their technical projects, from pair programming and code reviews to empowering them to make higher-level decisions. As an IC as well as a leader and mentor, you will play a key role in determining our technical strategy.
What you’ll do
• Code, a lot, as an IC to our technical roadmap.
• Mentor and pair program with other engineers to help them develop their practical skills.
• Perform code reviews and provide feedback so that other engineers can continually hone and improve their craft.
• Help establish best practices and standards in our codebase to improve the quality of our systems.
• Someone who loves to code. This is a hands-on position and is not suitable for those who want to simply oversee projects.’
• Knowledgable and eager to keep up-to-date with best engineering practices.
• Passionate about people, mentorship, and teaching, as a primary responsibility of yours is to help other engineers grow their technical skills.
• Very proficient with Python.
• Knowledgeable about machine learning. You don’t need to be a world-famous published researcher, but you should be comfortable with training deep neural networks and much of the latest machine learning theory and practice.
Compensation and Benefits
• Work directly on creating software with human-like intelligence.
• Generous compensation, equity, and benefits.
• $20K+ yearly budget for self-improvement: coaching, courses, conferences, etc.
• Actively co-create and participate in a positive, intentional team culture.
• Spend time learning, reading papers, and deeply understanding prior work.
• Frequent team events, dinners, off-sites, and hanging out.
• Compensation packages are highly variable based on a variety of factors. If your salary requirements fall outside of the stated range, we still encourage you to apply. The range for this role is $170,000–$350,000 cash, $10,000–$2,500,000 in equity
How to apply
All submissions are reviewed by a person, so we encourage you to include notes on why you’re interested in working with us. If you have any other work that you can showcase (open source code, side projects, etc.), certainly include it! We know that talent comes from many backgrounds, and we aim to build a team with diverse skillsets that spike strongly in different areas.
We try to reply either way within a week or two at most (usually much sooner).
Imbue builds AI systems that reason and code, enabling AI agents to accomplish larger goals and safely work in the real world. We train our own foundation models optimized for reasoning and prototype agents on top of these models. By using these agents extensively, we gain insights into improving both the capabilities of the underlying models and the interaction design for agents.
We aim to rekindle the dream of the *personal* computer, where computers become truly intelligent tools that empower us, giving us freedom, dignity, and agency to pursue the things we love.