Materials Development Technician (Reliability Lab)
Posted on 3/28/2022
West Athens, CA, USA
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 1+ years of experience with environmental test equipment
- 2+ years of experience with layup, bonding, or assembly of composites
- CNC programming experience
- Experience with machining equipment and power tools
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions, and standard operating procedures
- Proficient with precision measurement equipment/tools
- Ability to communicate well with teammates and engineers to understand requirements and objectives
- Creative problem-solving skills and ability to be self-directed and motivated
- The ability to lift heavy objects is required in this position (up to 35lbs unassisted)
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
- Willingness to work overtime and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here
- Processing of non-metallics, including processing techniques for composites, polymers, and coatings/paint
- Setup and operation of hot bond composite repair systems
- Vacuum bag processing, bonding, and oven/autoclave curing
- Set-up, program, run, and maintain environmental test equipment including UV, humidity, and thermal chambers among other supporting equipment
- Operate machining equipment, mills, routers, lathes, and grinders
- Prepare test samples per standard non-metallic test specifications
- Process documentation and experimental data logging
- Manage multiple projects and provide updates/communication with customers
- Read and interpret engineering drawings
Designs, manufactures, & launches rockets and spacecrafts
SpaceX's mission is to make humanity multiplanetary. The company is working on a next generation of fully reusable launch vehicles that will be the most powerful ever built, capable of carrying humans to Mars and other destinations in the solar system.
- Benefits and Perks - Our employees’ well-being is important to us and essential to our capacity to do extraordinary things. We offer a wide variety of programs to support the health, wellness, and financial security of our employees and their families.
- Make History - SpaceX has gained worldwide attention for a series of historic milestones. It is the only private company capable of returning a spacecraft from low-Earth orbit, and in 2012 our Dragon spacecraft became the first commercial spacecraft to deliver cargo to and from the International Space Station. And in 2020, SpaceX became the first private company to take humans there as well.
- Reusability - SpaceX believes a fully and rapidly reusable rocket is the pivotal breakthrough needed to substantially reduce the cost of space access. The majority of the launch cost comes from building the rocket, which historically has flown only once.
- Landing - SpaceX’s family of Falcon launch vehicles are the first and only orbital class rockets capable of reflight. Depending on the performance required for the mission, Falcon lands on one of our autonomous spaceport droneships out on the ocean or one of our landing zones near our launch pads.