New York, New York
6 month growth↑ 28%
1 year growth↑ 45%
2 year growth↑ 126%
- 5-7 years of experience as a Software Engineer
- Experience leading the planning and execution of complex projects
- Experience mentoring junior-level engineers
- Full-stack experience
- Lead the team through the development of technical designs and implementation plans
- Participate in the development and testing of new features across the tech stack
- Collaborate with product management and design teams
- Contribute to building and iterating on team processes and quality standards
- Mentor less experienced team members
- Experience in full-stack software development
At January, we work to ensure that borrowers who fall behind on debt are treated with fairness and respect. Owing to outdated processes and bad actors, traditional debt collection is rife with harassment and fraud. Our products tackle this by helping financial institutions modernize collections, giving borrowers simpler and more compassionate ways to get back on track.
About the role:
As a member of the Operational Excellence (OX) team, you’ll be responsible for enabling the operations and contact center teams to scale as January’s business grows. OX builds tools that enable:
- Creditors to engage with their borrowers compassionately and in compliance with the law
- Automation of our collections operations
- Surfacing the necessary data to analyze the effectiveness of our operations.
Senior Software Engineers at January aren’t just responsible for writing code. You’ll also own product and team outcomes, advocate for customers, and help other engineers grow.
The main ways you’ll impact the business are:
- Borrower Experience. You’ll work to make the collections experience simpler and more empathetic for borrowers, improving recoveries. This might include running experiments to improve conversion, analyzing user behavior to find opportunities, and designing reinforcement learning models to automate decision-making.
- Technical Leverage. Develop simple solutions to complex technical scaling problems, improving developer leverage, reliability, security, and compliance. Depending on your areas of expertise, this may include infrastructure scaling, domain modeling, performance optimization, and continuous deployment.
- Developing Peers. You’ll level up other engineers by sharing your knowledge of systems, engineering practices, and the problem domain, helping ensure their success. You’ll do this through code review, pair programming, documentation, and just plain being supportive.
You might be a fit if you value:
- Genuine collaboration. We recognize and explicitly reward feedback, alignment, and learning from each other.
- Managers as advocates. You’ll report to leaders invested in your growth and promotion, not just their own. Managers only succeed when their teams thrive.
- Outcomes over output. We value finding ways to do more with less, and working smart instead of burning out.
- Product ownership. Engineers are owners, not mercenaries. Everyone plays a role in discovering, advocating for, and implementing product ideas.
- Technical quality. We work collaboratively with our product peers to ensure great outcomes without sacrificing quality. Sustainable development is a first class priority.
What you bring to the table:
- Have 5-7 years of experience as a Software Engineer
- Have led the planning and execution of complex projects
- Enjoy and thrive in an environment where you’re a mentor to junior-level engineers
- Want the chance to collaborate closely with your peers
- We find that candidates who perform particularly well in this role have full-stack experience
- Lead the team through the development of technical designs and implementation plans.
- Participate in the development and testing of new features across the tech stack.
- Collaborate with members of product management and design as part of the product development process.
- Actively participate in building and iterating on team processes and quality standards which also foster an environment of psychological safety.
- Mentor less experienced team members.
We find that candidates who perform well in this role often have 5 - 7 years of full-stack software development experience. However, we encourage you to apply for this role even if your experience isn’t an exact match. We value professional development and on-the-job learning!
January prioritizes the safety and well-being of our team members and, as such, requires all employees who work from or visit a January office to have proof of COVID-19 vaccination or provide a valid medical or religious exemption.
What we can offer you:
- Pet-friendly office (only in NYC, for now!)
- Competitive equity packages, giving you a chance to feel true ownership of your work
- Unlimited PTO so you can take the time you need to rest and recharge
- Hybrid work model, where our team comes in 2-3x a week
- Flexible work hours for better work/life balance
- 12 weeks fully paid new parent leave program for all employees to enjoy bonding time
- Free lunches for team socializing activities
- Annual learning and development budget to invest in your professional growth
- 401k so you can invest in your future
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Free access to One Medical
- Free access to the mental well-being platform Spring Health plus 3 free virtual sessions with a Spring Health licensed therapist
- Commuter benefits for your travel to/from the office
- Endless growth opportunity and the ability to take on new and exciting challenges
- Built In’s Best Startups to Work For in New York (2023)
- Built In’s Best Startups to Work For in New York (2024)
- Built In’s Best Startups to Work For in San Francisco (2023)
- Built In’s Best Startups to Work For in San Francisco (2024)
- Crain’s Best Places to Work in NYC (2022)
- Crain’s Best Places to Work in NYC (2023)