Automation & Digital Services Technician
Posted on 10/18/2023
Innovative water solutions
Xylem helps consumers solve water. The company works to bring clean water, sanitation and hygiene education to schools and communities in emerging markets, and respond with water solutions when disaster strikes around the globe
Industrial & Manufacturing
Washington, District of Columbia
Growth & Insights
6 month growth↑ 4%
1 year growth↑ 89%
2 year growth↑ 89%
Toronto, ON, Canada • Mississauga, ON, Canada • Hamilton, ON...
Sales & Account Management
- Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required – equivalent experience combined with Associates degree as an alternative.
- 2+ years’ experience in industrial controls and automation applications with a working knowledge of electrical control panels, SCADA, VFD’s, PLCs, telemetry, distributed control networks and industry standard communications protocols
- Toronto, Electrician license (Southern Ontario) 309A
- 2+ years equipment maintenance experience in water and/or wastewater collection or treatment systems
- A basic & working understanding of the National Electrical Code specific to PLC type equipment, Variable speed drives, and motor controls centers amongst others.
- Highly motivated, clear thinking, strong communications skills, and ability to lead and make decisions
- Thorough understanding of systems troubleshooting and the benefits of establishing solid service practices for the operating and fiscal benefit of the company, distribution and the end-user.
- Very strong customer focus and interaction to ensure optimum relationships.
- Must have proactive ES&H focus in and around company and customer worksites; as well as on travel to and from.
- Strong leadership, supervisory, prioritization and communication skills (written and verbal) are necessary to help define, develop and enforce initiatives.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel, Salesforce, and Xylem’s business systems.
- Perform/ lead field installations
- Read electrical schematic drawings to determine how to interface automation components.
- Field modifications to existing control panels to accommodate Xylem Monitoring & Controls (M&C) equipment to an exemplary standard.
- Install new control panels.
- Test installations following Xylem, NEC, UL and any other applicable safety codes / guidelines and / or procedures.
- Mark up schematics (for as built drawings) with field modifications for engineering updates.
- Field Troubleshooting: Provide onsite support to resolve Xylem customer controls issues. Using multi-meter, hand tools and basic to mid level electrical theory, diagnose and resolve control and instrumentation issues at the customers site.
- Conduct Training Seminars: Present M&C equipment operational seminars in a classroom environment. By utilizing multimedia tools, deliver adequate training to both customers and fellow service staff to enable them to take ownership of their Xylem M&C products.
- Support Direct & Distribution M&C Sales: As required, attend customer meetings, work with W&WW sales channels to provide training on the basic fundamentals of the M&C assortment, and attend engineering meetings to provide clarification on controls & telemetry solutions.
- Start Up Assistance: Provide onsite support to help commission Monitoring & Control products. This includes but is not limited to Xylem intelligent Pump Station Managers (iPSM), Pump Controllers, Protection devices, Submersible pumps, Electrical Control Panels and Treatment products.
- General Documentation: Create or edit procedures and best practices related to M&C start-up, installation, troubleshooting, configuration, etc. Perform the required administrative tasks associated with the M&C Service Specialist position (i.e. product improvement requests, product issues notifications, trip reports, customer follow-up communications, time sheets, travel authorizations requests and general filing/ recorded keeping on customer support issues)
- Increase M&C Service Knowledge: Identify and help develop additional M&C service support talent from within the existing Canadian Sales company service groups. Evaluate existing service personnel, establish training plans, assist/conduct classroom training and hands-on experience training, and help perform yearly capability audits.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience in water and/or wastewater collection or treatment systems
- Knowledge of smart metering, network technologies, and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric, and gas utilities