Are you a talented storyteller looking to bring your expertise to the climate fight? Are you excited to bring a brand new technology to market, and to share Heirloom’s views on climate science, policy and corporate action to a range of different global audiences?
All across the world, from the azure pools of Turkey and Oman to the travertine terraces of Yellowstone, our planet quietly pulls carbon dioxide from the air and turns it to stone. For eons, Earth has relied on this process to balance its carbon cycle. What if it could be harnessed? What if we could do it faster, in larger quantities, and at a low enough cost to make it an effective tool in the fight against climate change?
At Heirloom, we are turning that into reality. We use the natural carbon capture properties of abundant minerals to pull CO2 from the air, and store it permanently underground. We come to work every day to slow climate change, and are united behind a single, common goal - to remove 1 billion tons of CO2 from the sky by 2035, and to not stop before we get there.
We bring together the precise recipe of science, technology, know-how, and strategy necessary to make low cost, high quality carbon removal a reality. If we’re successful, we will directly mitigate climate change, build a world we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren, and catalyze an industry that will rival the largest the world has ever seen. If you want to change the planet, come join us.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Heirloom is committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We believe wholeheartedly that building a diverse company is critical to Heirloom’s success. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
We are now looking for a world-class communications professional to drive the next phase of our narrative growth at our Brisbane, CA HQ. Whether it is developing a policy communications strategy, building thought-leadership campaigns to share our perspective on the importance of permanence in carbon removal, or pitching our latest breakthrough to a range of media outlets – each day will be fast-paced, dynamic and meaningful. You will also assist our Head of Public Policy on a range of high-impact policy initiatives to integrate legislative affairs, community engagement, and environmental justice strategies to build trust with communities and advance principles of responsible carbon removal deployments.
Whether you’ve spent years in cleantech, or are excited to pivot your career towards climate - you have superb verbal and written communications skills and are an expert at distilling complex ideas into simple, inspiring pieces. You are intellectually curious – you dive deep into problems and come out with a clear and compelling perspective. You are a relationship builder - with a finger on the pulse of what’s next in the media, 3rd party influencer landscape, and policy landscape. You have experience working in, or closely partnering with, policy or regulatory affairs teams, and bonus points if you’ve worked for a politician or campaign. You are scrappy, self-starting and enjoy flexing between high-level strategy and execution. You are self-driven, hungry to grow your career, and excited to own projects from soup-to-nuts.
Radical Honesty means we are open, transparent, and inclusive in everything we do. We aren’t scared to challenge each other, but bring clear motives and our best intentions when we do.
Persistent Optimism means we carry an infinite amount of optimistic energy with us on our journey, constantly chipping away at what may seem insurmountable.
Maximize our learning rate means we’re always in discovery mode. Compounding knowledge is our key to victory - we continuously hone our crafts, seek the fastest paths to new learning, and are quick to absorb new knowledge.
Why you should join Heirloom
- We are solving the engineering problem of our generation. Climate change is an existential threat, and we need as many of the world’s motivated minds as possible to help. There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change.
- We have done this before. We’re engineers, scientists, and concerned humans from a variety of backgrounds and experiences who are pooling our knowledge and skills to collectively build a more equitable, prosperous future for all.
- We are a united, resilient, and optimistic bunch. We are all here for the same reason - to slow climate change. We recognize the magnitude of the challenge ahead of us, and believe we can solve it. We can see a hopeful future where we eventually reverse climate change. It won’t be easy, but we won’t quit.
- We are backed by the best climate partners in the world. We’re well funded by investors from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Ahren Innovation Capital, Carbon Direct, Microsoft, Lowercarbon Capital, ARPA-e and the National Science Foundation. Our early customers include Stripe, Shopify, and Klarna, and we’re building durable partnerships that enable us to tackle this decades-long problem.
Perks and Benefits
- Generous stock options. We’re building a leading company in what will be a truly massive space. Share in that success.
- Flexible time off. Flexible PTO for exempt (salaried) employees & 120 hours for full time non-exempt (hourly) employees.
- Generous parental leave. 16 weeks paid leave for all Heirloom employees, regardless of primary/secondary caregiver status.
- Health, dental and vision. The benefits you need to keep you and your family covered.
- 401(k). Save pre-tax dollars toward retirement.
- Stay healthy. Monthly health and wellness reimbursement.
- Learn on the job. Robust annual education and conference budget, including airfare and hotel costs.
If you’re a master storyteller looking for your next challenge, apply here.