Forbes believes in the power of entrepreneurial capitalism and uses it on various platforms to ignite the conversations that drive systemic change in business, culture and society. We celebrate success and are committed to using our megaphone to drive diversity, equity and inclusion.
Forbes is looking for an enthusiastic and passionate Software Engineering Director to lead our Front-End Team working on Forbes.com and the pages and websites that surround it. It will be your responsibility to lead the delivery, vision, process and strategies around high profile and impactful features that will be seen and used by millions of users worldwide. You love what it means to work on client-side code, care deeply about front-end methodologies and patterns, strive for semantics, and know your tech.
This role requires managing relationships with Stakeholders, removing obstacles facing the Engineering team, delivering quality products, and growing and guiding the engineering team. The heart of our tech team’s culture is mentorship and growth, and you will be the key to continuing to evolve that culture and the team for Forbes.com.
In addition to joining a high performing team, you would become part of a passionate and engaged culture:
- Entrepreneurship: Freedom to innovate, identify new opportunities and take on responsibilities.
- Career Development: Formal mentorship program, industry conference attendance and speaking opportunities.
- Work/life Balance: We understand that people are people and work with you when life happens.
- Positivity: Emphasis on positive communication, transparency and team building
If you’re looking for challenges and opportunities similar to those of a startup, with the benefits of a seasoned, successful company, read on.
What you will be doing:
- Approach work with value and product-driven mindset
- Manage a team of Managers, Senior Engineers and Architects
- Empower Engineers to make as much of an impact as possible
- Making high-level architectural decisions
- Help reports set goals and achieve them
- Establish communication with stakeholders
- Facilitate communication between Dev, Ops, QA, and other Engineering Teams
- Champion engineering excellence
- Be heavily involved in the hiring process
- Bridge the gap between Developers and Product Owners
- Champion Innovation
- Establish relationships with key vendors
What we are looking for:
- Experience with Unit and Integration testing
- Experience integrating with NoSQL databases. MongoDB is a plus
- Comfortable with CI/CD Pipelines, and deploying code
- Experience with Git version control, and other software adjacent tools
- Experience with front-end development technologies and multiple frameworks
- Ability to communicate highly technical concepts to non-technical audiences both verbally and in writing
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, agile environment
- Strong organizational skills
- Excited about digital media and publishing
- A drive to chase and understand new and emerging technologies
- Commitment to the Forbes culture of celebrating success
- Interest in the journalism business and familiarity with the challenges facing it
- A passion for self-education and a drive to be ever forward-looking
- Rock-star team
- Parental Leave
- Attend exclusive events
- Gym reimbursement program
- Comprehensive benefits package
The annual base salary range for this role is $165,000 - $200,000
Forbes has estimated the compensation range set forth above in good faith. The compensation range is what we believe we will offer, and ultimately pay, a successful candidate. In determining this range, we consider the experience, level of education (if applicable to the role), knowledge, skills, and abilities required to be had by a successful candidate as well as the budget and the company’s pay rates, generally. This said, we may have to make changes to our compensation estimates and job descriptions from time to time and we expressly reserve the right to do so. Should we make any such changes, this advertisement will be revised to reflect such revisions. We encourage you to occasionally re-visit this advertisement to ensure that you are abreast of any changes. Thank you for your interest in joining Forbes!
Forbes aims to offer employees the flexibility they need in order to be successful. We offer a hybrid work schedule for our employees. Some roles may be remote (within the U.S.) if it aligns to the needs of the position. Any employee entering the Forbes office for business or social reasons will need to present proof of full vaccination, unless eligible for a medical or religious accommodation or other accommodation required under applicable law.
Forbes is an equal opportunity employer.
Staff and Applicant Privacy Notice