San Francisco, California
6 month growth↑ 5%
1 year growth↑ 7%
2 year growth↑ 123%
- 5+ years of engineering experience
- Ability to decompose tricky problems and work towards a clean solution
- Prioritization of projects based on business impact
- Empathetic communication skills
- Cross-functional collaboration
- Proficiency with technology stack: React, TypeScript, Node.js, Postgres, Redis
- Building product features, platforms, and machine learning / AI models to protect Notion’s community
- Partnering closely with Trust and Safety ops and other security teams to investigate new attack vectors, manage incidents, and improve internal tooling and automation
- Contributing to the vision and roadmaps for the team and articulating Notion’s overall approach and philosophy on Trust Engineering
- Multiple years of software engineering experience in the areas of trust, safety, and user authentication
- History of strong cross-functional collaboration with trust and safety ops, legal, and/or other non-technical teams
- Comfort with the fast moving, unstructured nature of a hyper-growth startup
- Proficiency with any part of the technology stack: React, TypeScript, Node.js, Postgres, Redis
We’re on a mission to make it possible for every person, team, and company to be able to tailor their software to solve any problem and take on any challenge. Computers may be our most powerful tools, but most of us can’t build or modify the software we use on them every day. At Notion, we want to change this with focus, design, and craft.
We’ve been working on this together since 2016, and have customers like Pixar, Mitsubishi, Figma, Plaid, Match Group, and thousands more on this journey with us. Today, we’re growing fast and excited for new teammates to join us who are the best at what they do. We’re passionate about building a company as diverse and creative as the millions of people Notion reaches worldwide.
Notion is an in person company, and currently requires its employees to come to the office for two Anchor Days (Mondays & Thursdays) and requests that employees spend the majority of their week in the office (including a third day).
About The Role:
Millions of people use Notion — and this number is increasing every day. That means millions of people trust us to keep their data secure and private, and we value this more than anything. We want to keep earning trust, while also continuing to amaze our users with the tools they can build in Notion.
As a member of the Trust Engineering team, you’ll have many opportunities to safeguard Notion’s community and help build a trustworthy environment. You’ll partner with product and infrastructure teams to integrate trust and safety into Notion’s technology stack, promoting sustainable growth towards becoming a universally used product. Additionally, you’ll collaborate with our Trust & Safety operations team to anticipate changing attack vectors and foster a positive user experience.
What You’ll Achieve:
- Built product features, platforms, and machine learning / AI models to protect Notion’s community from account takeovers, phishing, objectionable content, spam and other kinds of fraud and abuse
- Partner closely with Trust and Safety ops and other security teams to investigate new attack vectors, manage incidents, and improve internal tooling and automation
- Contribute to the vision and roadmaps for this team and articulate Notion’s overall approach and philosophy on Trust Engineering
What We’re Looking For:
- Thoughtful problem-solving: For you, problem-solving starts with a clear and accurate understanding of the context. You have 5+ years of engineering experience and can decompose tricky problems and work towards a clean solution, by yourself or with teammates.
- Pragmatic and business-oriented: You care about business impact and prioritize projects accordingly. You don’t just go after cool stuff—you understand the balance between craft, speed, and the bottom line. To you, technologies and programming languages are about tradeoffs. You may be opinionated, but you’re not ideological and can learn new technologies as you go.
- Put users first: You think critically about the implications of what you’re building, and how it shapes real people’s lives. You understand that reach comes with responsibility for our impact—good and bad.
- Empathetic communication: You communicate nuanced ideas clearly, whether you’re explaining technical decisions in writing or brainstorming in real time. In disagreements, you engage thoughtfully with other perspectives and compromise when needed.
- Team player: You understand when work is better, together. You enjoy collaborating cross-functionally to accomplish shared goals, and you care about learning, growing, and helping others to do the same.
Nice to Haves:
- Trust expertise: You bring multiple years of software engineering experience in the areas of trust, safety, and user authentication.
- Cross-functional collaboration: You have a history of strong cross-functional collaboration with trust and safety ops, legal, and/or other non-technical teams.
- Technology stack: You’re proficient with any part of our technology stack: React, TypeScript, Node.js, Postgres, Redis.
- Startup mentality: You are comfortable navigating the fast moving, unstructured nature of a hyper-growth startup. You are self-motivated to add value and bias towards action.
We hire talented and passionate people from a variety of backgrounds because we want our global employee base to represent the wide diversity of our customers. If you’re excited about a role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every bullet point listed in the job description, we still encourage you to apply. If you’re a builder at heart, share our company values, and enthusiastic about making software toolmaking ubiquitous, we want to hear from you.
Notion is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Notion considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Notion is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please let your recruiter know.
Notion is committed to providing highly competitive cash compensation, equity, and benefits. The compensation offered for this role will be based on multiple factors such as location, the role’s scope and complexity, and the candidate’s experience and expertise, and may vary from the range provided below. For roles based in San Francisco or New York City, the estimated base salary range for this role is $160,000 - $250,000 per year.