Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet’s data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
At Planet, you will be a full-time, integral member of the Communications Team helping to curate, develop and disseminate meaningful messaging and content that aims to build greater brand recognition and awareness around the company and our products and services.
You are a self-starter and someone willing to roll up your sleeves and jump head first into: social media, media relations, message development, content curation, event support and presentation tasks. You will be joining a team of high energy, creative and hardworking communications professionals. No task is too big or too small no matter your role on our team. We’re reliable, flexible, and at the end of the day, we are the disseminators of the message. If you’re looking for external limelight, this role is not for you.
Upon application, we are asking for 2-3 writing samples showcasing clear and concise writing that is non-academic - blogs, news articles, press releases, etc.
This position is a part of our twelve week summer internship program that starts on Monday, June 12th 2023 and concludes on September 1st, 2023.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Administrative tasks (website updates, media coverage, weekly media roundups, email management, speaking requests)
- Help to draft press releases, blog posts, social media posts, etc.
- Source relevant journalists to share our latest corporate news with and support the team by drafting pitches, conducting media outreach, staffing media interviews, and following up with any needed content
- Develop comprehensive media list
- Support our social media lead by identifying trends and developing relevant and buzzworthy social posts (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube and TikTok)
- Contribute to staff and team meetings
- Opportunity to attend customer meetings and participate in customer interviews
What You Bring:
- Excellent writing, editing and communication skills with a desire to write creatively and seek out interesting stories to tell
- The ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure (We’re scrappy but love the work we do!)
- Social media skills (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube and TikTok)
- Previous internship experience in a writing or communications role
- Formal training in public relations, communications, marketing, English, journalism, or another related field (e.g. College student or graduate)
- High energy and a positive attitude with a desire to work at a mission driven company or tech forward business
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Adobe Suite experience
- Familiarity with Google Analytics
- Prior customer-facing experience
- Copy-editing skills
- Basic knowledge of HTML
The US hourly rate range for this position at the commencement of employment is $25 - $30. The final salary range is determined by job related experience, skills and location. The range displays our typical hiring range for new hire salaries in US locations only. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet’s front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.