Firmware Release Manager
Posted on 12/22/2023
Open platform telematics technology provider
Geotab is on a mission to advance technology, empower businesses and make the roads safer for everyone. The company connects vehicles to the internet and provide web-based analytics to help organizations manage their fleets.
AI & Machine Learning
Data & Analytics
Growth & Insights
6 month growth↑ 2%
1 year growth↑ 2%
2 year growth↑ 9%
Oakville, ON, Canada
- Post-Secondary Degree/Diploma specialization in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Electrical or Electronics Engineering or a related field
- Experience with SQL
- Experience programming in Python
- Knowledge of the Software Development Lifecycle
- Knowledge of Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CD/CI) pipelines
- Knowledge of traditional agile methodologies (e.g. Scrum or Kanban)
- Strong project management skills
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to problem-solve to well-judged decisions
- Basic knowledge of embedded systems and firmware development
- Track and report progress of firmware builds through each stage of the process, ensuring high-quality releases
- Ensure firmware rollout monitors are working as effectively as expected and any firmware issues are caught before impacting customers
- Understand and utilize relational database languages (e.g. SQL), iPython (e.g. Jupyter) and data warehousing platforms (e.g. Google BigQuery) to effectively manage the firmware rollout process
- Manage the firmware release notes on an ongoing basis
- Manage custom firmware versions and all firmware branches
- Assist with the management of new modem firmware testing and release
- Keep up to date documentation for all your areas of responsibility
- Knowledge of embedded systems and firmware development
- Experience with modem firmware testing and release
- Experience with relational database languages (e.g. SQL), iPython (e.g. Jupyter), and data warehousing platforms (e.g. Google BigQuery)
Who we are:
Geotab ® is a global leader in IoT and connected transportation and certified “Great Place to Work™.” We are a company of diverse and talented individuals who work together to help businesses grow and succeed, and increase the safety and sustainability of our communities.
Geotab is advancing security, connecting commercial vehicles to the internet and providing web-based analytics to help customers better manage their fleets. Geotab’s open platform and Geotab Marketplace ®, offering hundreds of third-party solution options, allows both small and large businesses to automate operations by integrating vehicle data with their other data assets. Processing billions of data points a day, Geotab leverages data analytics and machine learning to improve productivity, optimize fleets through the reduction of fuel consumption, enhance driver safety and achieve strong compliance to regulatory changes.
Our team is growing and we’re looking for people who follow their passion, think differently and want to make an impact. Ours is a fast paced, ever changing environment. Geotabbers accept that challenge and are willing to take on new tasks and activities - ones that may not always be described in the initial job description. Join us for a fulfilling career with opportunities to innovate, great benefits, and our fun and inclusive work culture. Reach your full potential with Geotab. To see what it’s like to be a Geotabber, check out our blog and follow us @InsideGeotab on Instagram. Join our talent network to learn more about job opportunities and company news.
Who you are:
We are always looking for amazing talent who can contribute to our growth and deliver results! Geotab is seeking a Firmware Release Manager who will be responsible for managing the firmware releases that are performed by the Automotive department. This includes the release scheduling, signing and publishing, and managing the channels of all firmware versions. If you love technology, and are keen to join an industry leader — we would love to hear from you!
What you’ll do:
As a Firmware Release Manager your key area of responsibility will be for the firmware rollout processes and ensuring issues in the field are effectively caught before they escalate. This position will work closely with Automotive, as well as Solution Engineering, Support and key leadership stakeholders.. To be successful in this role you will be a self-starter with strong written and verbal communication skills, and have the ability to quickly understand complex, technical concepts
How you’ll make an impact:
- Track and report progress of firmware builds through each stage of the process, ensuring high-quality releases.
- Ensure firmware rollout monitors are working as effectively as expected and any firmware issues are caught before impacting customers.
- Understand and utilize relational database languages (e.g. SQL), iPython (e.g. Jupyter) and data warehousing platforms (e.g. Google BigQuery) to effectively manage the firmware rollout process.
- Manage the firmware release notes on an ongoing basis.
- Manage custom firmware versions and all firmware branches.
- Assist with the management of new modem firmware testing and release.
- Keep up to date documentation for all your areas of responsibility.
What you’ll bring to this role:
- Post-Secondary Degree/Diploma specialization in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Electrical or Electronics Engineering or a related field.
- Experience with SQL.
- Experience programming in Python.
- Knowledge of the Software Development Lifecycle.
- Knowledge of Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CD/CI) pipelines.
- Knowledge of traditional agile methodologies (e.g. Scrum or Kanban).
- Strong project management skills; able to identify needs, develop effective solutions and manage projects through to completion.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to problem-solve to well-judged decisions.
- Basic knowledge of embedded systems and firmware development.
If you got this far, we hope you’re feeling excited about this role! Even if you don’t feel you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply.
Please note: Geotab does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward resumes to Geotab employees.
Why job seekers choose Geotab:
Flex working arrangements
Home office reimbursement program
Baby bonus & parental leave top up program
Online learning and networking opportunities
Electric vehicle purchase incentive program
Competitive medical and dental benefits
Retirement savings program
*The above are offered to full-time permanent employees only
How we work:
At Geotab, we have adopted a flexible first working model in that we have systems, functions, programs and policies in place to support both in-person and virtual work. However, you are welcomed and encouraged to come into our beautiful, safe, clean offices as often as you like. When working from home, you are required to have a reliable internet connection with at least 50mb DL/10mb UL. Virtual work is supported with cloud-based applications, collaboration tools and asynchronous working. The health and safety of employees are a top priority. We encourage work-life balance and keep the Geotab culture going strong with online social events, chat rooms and gatherings. Join us and help reshape the future of technology!
We believe that ensuring diversity is fundamental to our future growth and progress and is an integral part of our business. We believe that success happens where new ideas can flourish – in an environment that is rich in diversity and a place where people from various backgrounds can work together. Geotab encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to accommodating people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes and when people are hired. We will ensure the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities are taken into account as part of performance management, career development, training and redeployment processes. If you require accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information about our diversity and inclusion as well as accommodation policies and practices, please contact us at [email protected]. Click here to learn more about what happens with your personal data.