6 month growth↓ -5%
1 year growth↓ -5%
2 year growth↑ 15%
- 10+ years of engineering experience
- In-depth knowledge of ISO-8583 and Card Networks
- Deep understanding of payments ecosystem
- Demonstrated experience in the Fintech space
- Demonstrated software development (Java) and operations experience with real time event based processing
- Experience with databases and scaling transactional data stores
- Experience with deploying and maintaining distributed systems on AWS
- Experience with Agile Scrum and TDD
- Strong communication skills
- Team-oriented approach
- Lead the architecture, design and implementation for major complex distributed systems
- Be a subject matter expert regarding Payment Processing, Card Networks and ISO 8583 standards
- Create simple elegant solutions that scale and reduce complexity
- Lead from the front and own your system
- Articulately define an architecture including diagraming
- Manage your time and ensure you can delegate/provide opportunities for growth for others
- Experience with simplifying legacy code and migrating existing customers on new stacks
- Passion to write code with great quality and test coverage
Marqeta is on a mission to change the way money moves. We’re one of the earliest enablers of embedded finance, a market opportunity sized up in the trillions. Our card issuing platform provides unprecedented flexibility and control for companies to issue cards, authorize transactions, and manage payment operations in real time. Marqeta is powering the most well known brands in the new economy (Block, Cash App, Affirm, Instacart, Doordash, Uber, Walmart, etc). Today nearly 8 out of 10 Americans use a product powered by Marqeta every week. This is the opportunity of a lifetime to work with innovators around the world and unlock equitable financial access for all.
Reporting to the VP of Engineering and working with Fellows and product engineering teams, the Principal Software Engineer will be responsible for strengthening the foundation and scaling our Payment Processing system, which is the most mission critical Core Platform for Marqeta. for new hires and move towards mentoring mentors to scale your own impact further.
As a Principal Engineer, you will help scale our Core Payment Transaction Platform and technologies as our business continues to grow, while staying focused on shipping software that matters to our customers and their end consumers. You will innovate on various aspects of the platform used by our engineering organization to deliver high quality, highly scalable, and highly secure products to our customers.
We work Flexible First. This role can be performed remotely within the United States. We’d love for you to join us!
What you’ll do:
- Lead the architecture, design and implementation for major complex distributed systems.
- Be a subject matter expert (SME) regarding Payment Processing, Card Networks and ISO 8583 standards.
- Build the engineering design and the scaffolding that mid-level engineers can take and do the in-fill.
- Create simple elegant solutions that scale and reduce complexity, including removing code. Your solutions keep human toil/support to a minimum.
- Lead from the front and own your system, including working with others. You will make your system better while leveraging the rest of the team to help them learn and grow.
- Be the proven/demonstrable expert - people (from entry level engineers to business leaders) will go to you for your experience, credibility and approachability. Your name will come up often because of your capabilities and impact. At the same time, you will teach people to fish rather than fish for them.
- Articulately define an architecture including diagraming, while at the same time present/debate with a diverse audience.
- Manage your time and ensure you can delegate/provide opportunities for growth for others vs. get involved where you have to.
What we’re looking for:
- 10+ years of engineering experience
- In-depth knowledge of ISO-8583 and Card Networks.
- Deep understanding of payments ecosystem: merchants, acquirers, card networks and card issuers/processors.
- Demonstrated experience/problems solved in the Fintech space, preferably in card issuing and/or payment processing. You understand the payments space, payments systems, and ISO 8583 messaging specifications.
- Demonstrated software development (Java) and operations experience with real time event based (payment) processing.
- We use Java throughout the business but welcome experience in different programming languages.
- Demonstrated ability to craft and deliver large complex projects
- Demonstrated experience with simplifying legacy code and migrating existing customers on new stacks.
- Demonstrated experience with databases and scaling transactional data stores.
- Demonstrated experience with deploying and maintaining distributed systems on AWS.
- Demonstrated passion to write code with great quality and test coverage.
- Demonstrated experience with Agile Scrum and TDD.
- Strong communication skills - including the ability to listen to the needs of others and comprehend complex matters, articulate issues in a clear and concise manner, and present effectively in both oral and written presentations to all levels in the organization.
- Team-oriented approach – can effectively lead a project or participate as an effective team member as well as work cross-functionally with other organizations.
Recruiter For This Role
- Jake Zerbe
Our (typical) process:
- Application submission
- Recruiter video call
- Hiring Manager video call
- Coding interview
- Virtual “Onsite” consisting of four 45-60 minute rounds
Compensation and Benefits
Marqeta is a Flex First company which allows you to choose your best working environment, whether that be from home or at a company office. To support Flex First, we calibrate pay to a competitive value according to working location. Compensation is aligned according to three tiers within the United States:
- National: A baseline tier that applies to most of the geographic territory of the United States.
- Premium: Slightly elevated from the National tier, and oriented toward a narrower set of higher cost-of-living areas, such as Los Angeles CA and Seattle WA
- Premium Plus: A tier for the most expensive working areas, like the San Francisco Bay area and New York City.
Visit this page or consult with a Recruiter to determine which tier would be applicable to you.
When determining salaries, we consider several factors including, but not limited to, skills, prior experience, and work location. The new-hire base salary range for this position is:
- National: $168,675 - $224,900
- Premium: $189,750 - $253,000
- Premium Plus: $210,825 - $281,100
We also believe in recognizing the contributions of our people. That’s why we award annual bonuses to eligible employees, rewarding both individual performance and the success of the entire company.
Along with monetary compensation, Marqeta offers
- Multiple health insurance options
- Flexible time off – take what you need
- Retirement savings program with company contribution
- Equity in a publicly-traded company and an Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Family-forming benefits, fertility support, and up to 20 weeks of Parental Leave
- Free therapy sessions, financial and professional coaching, and legal advice
- Monthly stipend to support our remote work model
- Annual “development dollars” to support our people growth and development
Equal Opportunity, Accommodations, and Privacy
Marqeta is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that gives consideration to all qualified applicants, irrespective of any characteristics protected by law. This includes (but is not limited to) race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, color, ancestry, and Veteran status. We consider qualified applicants from all backgrounds, without regard to criminal histories, in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
Our dedication to diversity and inclusion extends beyond the categories above. Review Marqeta’s ESG Report to see that dedication in action. Fostering an environment where everyone feels valued and respected creates a stronger and more innovative team at Marqeta. We celebrate the unique contributions of each individual and empower all members of our organization. Join us in building a company where diversity thrives and everyone can be their authentic selves.
If you require reasonable accommodation for the application process and beyond, please submit this form and we will be more than happy to assist you. Marqeta will make reasonable accommodations for candidates when needed in accordance with applicable law. The Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice applies to the personal data that you directly provide to us or that we collect during the application and candidate recruitment process.