Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet’s data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
The Flight Software Team is responsible for creating and maintaining the guidance and control software for our fleet of Dove, Superdove and Skysat satellites. We also build tools, payload software, radio software and work on next generation initiatives! As a member of the FSW team, you will be working to develop and improve the software that runs our fleet of observation satellites. You will also be designing and owning system components on our next generation satellite technical roadmap. This will involve working with a broad variety of disciplines, including our top-notch payload, security, and mission control teams!
Impact You’ll Own:
- Design, develop, test and debug software for our existing and future fleet of satellites, including software for embedded microcontrollers and embedded Linux
- Design and implement the processes and protocols to safeguard satellite communications, software updates, and data integrity
- Collaborate in cross-functional teams to design new satellite systems and implement the associated flight and ground software
What You Bring:
- Proven history of thinking through complex, interdisciplinary design problems as well as debugging to identify and correct root causes
- 5+ years of programming experience in C. Ideally, development for microcontrollers and/or low-level Linux applications
- Experience designing and implementing communications security protocols, such as firmware signing, key exchanges, and message/stream authentication
- Technical and organizational communication skills, especially in advisory or mentorship roles
- Ability to tackle broad, loosely-defined assignments with minimal supervision in an iterative manner; includes requirement development, research, and prototyping
- Comfortable with common open-source development tools (GCC, make) in a Linux environment
- Proponent of continuous integration and automated testing
- Familiar with build systems for Linux and embedded targets. Experience with DVCS such as git or mercurial
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience with previous aerospace projects or cubesats
- Experience in the mobile, networking, medical, robotics, IoT, or similar embedded device industries
- Experience with some of our key technical areas, such as cameras or other image sensors, high-speed radio communication, FPGA development, or guidance, navigation and control
- Knowledge of industry standards for software quality practices
- Experience building embedded OS distributions
- Contribution to open source projects, especially small-device or similar
- Cool side projects, great life stories, robot ownership
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
The US base salary range for this full-time position at the commencement of employment is $136,000 - $223,600. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary short-term and long-term incentives (bonus and equity). The final salary range is determined by job related experience, skills and location. The range displays our typical hiring range for new hire salaries in US locations only. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet’s front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.