How to Get an Internship at Boeing
This article offers five essential tips to help you secure an internship at Boeing. Learn how to stand out from the competition and increase your chances of success.
Boeing, the largest aerospace company in the world, offers a wide range of career opportunities for aspiring professionals. An internship at Boeing can pave the way towards a successful and rewarding career while providing valuable hands-on experience in areas such as engineering, manufacturing, operations and business management. In this guide, we will explore how to secure an internship position at Boeing and what steps you should follow to maximize your chances of success!
Frequently Asked Questions About Boeing Internships
Are you interested in aerospace and aviation? Do you want to gain practical experience and develop professional skills at a leading company in the industry? Then, Boeing internships may be an ideal option for you. A Boeing internship offers ambitious individuals the opportunity to work alongside skilled professionals from diverse fields and gain hands-on knowledge of the workings of one of the world's largest aerospace companies.
As an intern at Boeing, you will get exposure to real-world projects that make a difference while learning how things are done on a global scale. With positions available across engineering, manufacturing, operations, business management and more, there's something for everyone at the world's largest aerospace company!
- Internship Length: 10-12 weeks
- Software Engineer Intern Salary: $28.00 per hour
- Number of Interns: 136,000+ (across all roles)
- Office Locations: Boeing has offices around the United States from Seattle, St. Louis, Huntington Beach, Philadelphia, Mesa, Charleston, and South Carolina!
- Application Cycle: Boeing's internship application cycle typically opens in the Fall (August to October) and runs through the Spring (February to March).
What Experience and Qualifications Do I Need?
Boeing seeks applicants who demonstrate curiosity, innovation, and a strong desire for learning. While the specific qualifications for internships can vary by position and department, here are some general guidelines:
- Educational Background: You should be a current undergraduate or graduate student pursuing a degree in a relevant field such as engineering, computer science, or a related discipline.
- Industry-Specific Knowledge: Highlight any relevant coursework or projects that demonstrate your familiarity with industry-specific technology, tools, and practices. This could include areas such as aerospace engineering, software development, data analysis, or manufacturing processes.
- Technical Skills: Depending on the internship position, having strong technical skills can be advantageous. For example, if you're applying for an engineering internship, proficiency in software tools, programming languages, or design software may be beneficial.
- Passion for Aerospace: Expressing a genuine interest and enthusiasm for the aerospace industry can set you apart. Stay informed about current developments, industry challenges, and the impact of aerospace on various aspects of society.
Remember that these qualifications and experiences may vary depending on the specific internship position and department at Boeing. It's important to carefully review the internship description and tailor your application to showcase the skills and qualifications that align with the role you are applying for.
What does a Boeing internship involve?
A Boeing internship provides a unique and immersive experience for aspiring professionals in the aerospace industry. During your internship, you can expect to be fully engaged in the day-to-day operations of one of the world's largest aerospace companies. Whether you're pursuing a technical or non-technical internship, you'll have the opportunity to contribute to meaningful projects and gain valuable insights into the industry.
As an intern, you may work alongside experienced professionals, collaborating on real-world projects that span various areas such as engineering, manufacturing, operations, business management, and more. You'll have the chance to apply your skills and knowledge to solve complex challenges, while also learning from industry experts. This hands-on experience will not only deepen your understanding of the aerospace field but also help you develop practical skills that are relevant to your future career.
When Do Applications Open?
Historically, Boeing has opened its internship applications during the Fall season, typically between August and October. The exact dates may vary from year to year, so it's important to stay updated by regularly visiting Boeing's career website.
Types of Internships at Boeing
Boeing offers a wide range of internship programs for students pursuing both undergraduate and graduate degrees. These programs span across various disciplines, including engineering, business, technology, manufacturing, supply chain management and other fields. As an intern at Boeing, you have the opportunity to work on real-world projects under the guidance of experienced professionals in your respective field.
You can choose from several types of internships depending on your interests and background. Some common types of internships offered by Boeing include summer internships (12-14 weeks), co-op internships (long-term), full-time/part-time academic year internships, and virtual/remote-only roles.
What benefits can I expect?
As a Boeing intern, you can expect the following key benefits:
- Meaningful Projects: Gain hands-on experience working on real-world projects that have a significant impact on Boeing's operations and the aerospace industry.
- Professional Development: Access training programs, workshops, and resources to enhance your skills, expand your knowledge, and prepare for future career opportunities.
- Mentorship and Guidance: Receive guidance and support from experienced professionals who can serve as mentors, helping you navigate your internship and maximize your learning experience.
- Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of professionals, including fellow interns and Boeing employees, through networking events and activities, expanding your professional network within the aerospace industry.
These benefits provide a strong foundation for your growth and development during your Boeing internship, allowing you to gain practical experience, develop valuable skills, and establish connections within the industry.
How Can I Apply?
To apply for internships at Boeing, you can follow these steps:
- Visit the Boeing career page: Go to the official Boeing career page and navigate to the internship you are looking for.
- Search for internships: Look for internship opportunities by using the search filters or browsing the available positions. You can search by location, job field, or keywords.
- Review job descriptions: Carefully read the job descriptions of the internships you're interested in. Take note of the specific requirements, qualifications, and responsibilities for each position.
- Customize your application: Tailor your resume and cover letter to highlight your skills, experiences, and qualifications that align with the internship positions you're applying for. Emphasize any relevant coursework, projects, or extracurricular activities.
- Autofill your application using Simplify: Follow the instructions provided on the job posting to submit your application. This may involve uploading your resume, cover letter, and any additional documents or completing an online application form.
- Track your application: After submitting your application, you may receive a confirmation email. Stay organized and informed by tracking your application status after submitting it. Look out for a confirmation email and leverage Simplify's centralized dashboard to effortlessly keep track of your applications in one place.
Remember to apply for internships that match your interests and align with your skills and qualifications. Customizing your application materials for each position and highlighting any leadership or volunteer experiences can also make your application stand out. Boeing values a welcoming and inclusive work environment, so be sure to demonstrate your commitment to these values in your application.
What to Expect from the Interview
The interview process for an internship at Boeing typically involves multiple stages designed to evaluate your skills, experience, and alignment with the company's culture. Here's an overview of what you can expect:
- Initial Screening: After submitting your application, you may undergo an initial screening process, which can include a review of your resume and qualifications. This step helps Boeing assess your fit for the internship position.
- Behavioral-Based Interviews: If you pass the initial screening, you will likely be invited for behavioral-based interviews. These interviews focus on your past experiences and how you have approached various situations. It is recommended to use the STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) method to structure your responses and provide specific examples of your achievements.
- Technical Skills Assessment: Depending on the internship role, you may be evaluated on your technical skills. This can involve tasks such as coding challenges, case studies, or other job-related assessments. These assessments aim to gauge your proficiency in specific areas relevant to the internship.
- Panel or Team Interviews: As you progress further in the process, you may have panel or team interviews. These interviews involve meeting with multiple interviewers, which can include Boeing employees, subject matter experts, hiring leaders, or even customers. The purpose is to gain a comprehensive understanding of your capabilities and suitability for the internship.
- Virtual Interview Considerations: With the increasing prevalence of remote work, it is possible that your interviews may be conducted virtually using video conferencing platforms. If this is the case, ensure you have a stable internet connection, test your audio and video settings, and dress professionally for the virtual interview.
Remember to prepare thoroughly by researching Boeing, practicing common interview questions, and highlighting your relevant experiences and skills.
How to Secure a Return Offer
If you're eager to secure a return offer at Boeing, here are some valuable insights. Firstly, strive for excellence throughout your internship by consistently delivering top-notch work and demonstrating a strong work ethic. Cultivate meaningful connections with your colleagues and supervisors, actively contribute to team projects, and actively seek feedback to foster personal growth. Stay adaptable and embrace new challenges as opportunities for learning and development.
It's also important to keep a record of your accomplishments and the impact you've made during your internship. Finally, express your genuine interest in returning to Boeing, conveying your enthusiasm for the company's mission. While there are no guarantees, by applying these strategies with a positive attitude, you'll increase your chances of securing a return offer.
Get Started With Simplify Today
Embarking on a journey with Boeing offers an incredible opportunity for students and recent graduates to gain real-world experience and foster their professional growth in a renowned aerospace company. By applying the insights and recommendations shared in this post, you can enhance your chances of making a memorable impression during the application process and securing an enriching internship experience with Boeing!
Are you ready to kickstart your career and explore the vast possibilities at Boeing? Simplify is here to support you every step of the way. We streamline the application process, allowing you to devote more time to focusing on personal projects and seizing unique opportunities within Boeing. Take the first stride towards a rewarding future and begin your journey with Simplify today!